How to Properly Clean Your Pet's Ears
- 1. Straighten the ear canal by gently pulling the tip of the ear flap upwards.
- 2. Drip a pet ear cleaning solution into your pet’s ear canal strait from the bottle. Fill canal. It is ok if it overflows out of the canal.
- 3. Gently massage the base of your pet’s ear with your thumb and forefinger for at least 30 seconds. The ear canal will feel like a small hard tube between your fingers. You will know that you’re doing it right if you hear a squishy sound.
- 4. Tip your pet’s head to the side and let the pet ear cleaning solution drip out onto a towel or dab excess cleanser with cotton balls or tissues. Don’t be surprised if a lot of material comes out!
- 5. Allow your pet to shake out any excess pet ear wash.
- 6. Being careful not to insert anything deeper into the ear canal than ½ to 1 inch, remove any excess wax or particles with a soft cloth, tissue.
- 7. Wait 1 – 2 hours then apply veterinary prescribed ointment if dispensed.
Tip: ***It’s always good to clean the ears after a day of swimming or after any baths. For pets with chronic ear issues apply on really humid days as well.***
Let’s review what NOT to do:
- Do not use water. It can lead to formation of bacteria and yeast.
- Do not go deeper than ½ to 1 inch into the ear canal.
- Do not use alcohol or Peroxide ever in ears
For more information try www.websterlakevet.com